Monday, April 23, 2012

Skarlock (WIP)

After some much-needed technique critique following the paint job done on my Dark Angel Captain, I decided to take what people said to heart and attempt a new technique.  The model isn't even close to finished, but as with any new technique, it'll take a while before I can get it to the point of being fast.

So without any further ado, here's the WIP Cryx Skarlock


The new technique I tried was layering multiple very, very thin coats of different colors to add shading.  I really like how the Skarlock's head is turning out.  For those of you who gave me the recommendation to try this technique, thank you.  You were right, it really does add a lot of depth to the model.

Next will be a continuation of this model.  The souls will be ice blue, as the are on the rest of my Cryx soul-having models.  The cloak will be a dark black-purple (once I figure out how to make that color) and the soul cages will be the typical brass and silver.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, thats a big difference. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much of the blue vs. silver is painting, and how much is reflection? Very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's all unpainted metal. As of right now, that's all a black/purple and just waiting to be highlighted. The sould that he's holding will be off-white/light blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be nice to get that bluish glow effect that appears in this photo - that's what I thought you meant by very thin coats...
    Dem bones look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are you using to make you blue soul glow? I was considering using blue as well.

    ReplyDelete